How To Fix “Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface”
It is not every day that you come across “Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.” but when you do – especially if you are one who is going after a clean event log – it can be a bit frustrating along the path to correcting it!
Generally we have seen this issue come up when a third-party backup process is configured. A quick adjustment to the security settings for the Volume Shadow Copy Service and a reboot can help correct the issue.
|12345||ErrorMessage : Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.|
Solution 1: Update/Create Registry DWORD Key
This is generally the first and most effective way to resolve the Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface error.
- Open Service Manager ( Start –> Run –> services.msc )
- Scroll down to the Volume Shadow Copy service and make sure that it is running. If it is not running, right click and go into properties and update the execution to Automatic and reboot. If the service is running or if this did not correct the issue, continue.
- In the Volume Shadow Copy service, check the logon tab for which account is used for service execution ( .\Administrator, Network Service, Local System )
- Open registry editor ( Start –> run –> regedit )
- Navigate to registry key
- Create a DWORD key entry and assign a value of 1. Key name is equal to the fully-qualified name of the system account being used by the Volume Shadow Copy service
For the .\Administrator account, use the key .\Administrator
For the Network Service account, use the key NT Authority\NetworkService
For the Local System account, use the key NT Authority\SYSTEM.
Solution 2: That Didn’t Work – Try COM Security Settings
In some rare cases we have heard that Solution 1 does not correct the Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface error messages – in those situations it’s best to check in the Component Services for permissions.
- Open Component Services ( Start –> Run –> dcomcnfg )
- Expand Component Services –> Computers –> My Computer
- Right click My Computer and select Properties
- Select COM Security tab
- Look in Access Permissions option panel and select Edit Default
- Add SYSTEM and NETWORK SERVICE users ( if they are not already in there ) and grant them Local Access
Please let us know if this was able to help in resolving your issue with Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface
- iOS 16.4.1— Urgent Update Recommended - April 10, 2023
- SAML – What The Heck Is Security Assertion Markup Language? - April 6, 2023
- Employees Sharing Sensitive Business Data with ChatGPT Raises Security Concerns - March 30, 2023